Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Never The Same



I am not a systematic painter.  I’ve tried to be that way.  There are some really stiff paintings in my portfolio that came from trying to develop a process for myself that can be relied on in every situation. Surely if I were more systematic I would produce fewer experimental pieces that end up in the trash. This year I’ve finally come to grips with the fact that inconsistency is a part of who I am; one painting is thick, one is thin, one gets lost in abstraction, another gets over rendered.  I really don’t care how I get there, I’m just trying to get closer to whats going on inside at the time. There are so many things in the painting below that were just spur of the moment choices…fencing with the painting gods.


Three Glasses, 9" x 11", Oil on Panel, by John Kelley
  

No comments:

Post a Comment