Saturday, October 1, 2016

Black Warrior River Color Studies

I really hope there are some artist who read this blog.  I am a painter with life circumstances that make my free time almost non-existent.  So when I do have time, I paint.  This leaves me very little time to dialogue about painting which I've always found valuable. So I may be talking to cyber-space, but this post has artists in mind.

When painting on location I am trying to keep my values between a dark mid-tone and white. Obviously, this isn't about a finished painting, it's about learning. Specifically, learning how to make contrast changes with color rather than dramatic value.  It would be easy if the world were full of bright color changes but the reality is that the world is full of grayed down color. You might not believe that at first. You can see just how grey it is by taking a small strip of cardboard or paper and painting your purest primary colors in stripes along the strip.  Take the strip outside and place it in the same light thats falling on your landscape.....grey, gray, grey!

The studies below are all either 6x10 or 6x8.  Each was done in about an hours time.




1 comment:

  1. Interesting post.
    Summer's blue haze over a gazillion trees all over the mountains in Vermont is all about gray. Contrast scares me. But if I painted those trees, then I might achieve peace with those grays.
    My brain has difficulty thinking of painting in technical terms. The more I read what artist say, the easier it is to think in terms of tone, value, and such.

    ReplyDelete